Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Hammock-Nap With a Tiny Giant

     Not a lot of people I know have gotten close to a giant anteater. Growing up to seven feet from nose to tail, with foot-long tongues and largest claws of any mammal - they are as weird as it gets. They are a carnivore, but have no teeth. Unlike other obligate carnivores (that eat only meat) like jaguar/tiger/crocodiles and other predators, giant anteaters use their claws and long tongue to access the myriad arachnid caloric opportunities available in the jungle. But giant anteaters are also tough as hell. In an environment where jaguars are a constant threat, the giant anteater has been forced to develop incredible strength and the capacity for brutal violence.
    Yet despite this, the little anteater that I cared for back in 2007 was fun, emotional, and intelligent as most dogs - which made her an incredible friend to have in the forest. She taught me a lot. It is a species which holds a very special place in my heart. And my time raising one was one of the best experiences of my life - and I think, one of the best parts of this book. Here is a look at what an orphaned giant looks like during an afternoon nap on the Las Piedras River. 

No comments:

Post a Comment